Since Independence, Otjiwarongo expanded tremendously with new residential areas that were created. It is against this background that a committee has been established. The committee will assist Council in taking decisions on naming and renaming of streets and extensions in Otjiwarongo.
PROCESS BY WHICH NAMING AND RENAMING SHALL BE DONE
- any person, community or organization except committee member in the geographical area of the town shall be entitled to propose the naming of new streets or renaming of an existing street in accordance with the policies and procedures accepted by Council.
- Application for the naming and renaming of streets/extension shall be in writing under the name of the person making the proposal and include details of the affected street, proposed new name, background of the name to be eliminated and fully motivated reasons which research reference evidence of professional or community support.
- Proposals may include the results of referenda or similar consultation with community by way of evidence of support or opposition but which Council shall not consider as defining criteria to choose the proposed name.
- All proposals will be received through the office of the Chief Executive Officer and forwarded to the division concerned for report and preparation of a submission to the committee.
- Proposal will be considered by the Street/Extension Naming Committee who will then make recommendation to Management Committee.
- The full Council of Otjiwarongo Municipality will take the final decision.
Agatha Mweti, Marlene Mbakera and Adelheid Shilongo
Ulrich Kutz, Johan de Vos, Reginald Kambazembi, Theresia Kukenge, Petrus T. Kapia, Vasco Mukumba, Absalom Tjombonde, Eugen Mushongo, Lucas Hifitikeko, Mulanduleni Namwandi, Othilie Kariko, Bennie Areseb, Vistoria Thomas, Andrew Nawaseb and Eddy Kgobetsi.